[AccessD] ADO Connection with password

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Tue Dec 4 04:19:18 CST 2007

You did it again Gustav. This did the trick beautifully. Thanks for the
millionth time for your help.

--
Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk

Hi Andy

You may need first to set the Property "Jet OLEDB:Database Password" as
explained here:

http://www.asp101.com/tips/index.asp?id=98

/gustav

>>> andy at minstersystems.co.uk 03-12-2007 16:52 >>>
Hi all

Does anyone else use the code, originally from JC IIRC, which shows who is
in an MDB by looking at the LDB? Well I've been successfully using this for
years but I now need it to work for a password-protected MDB. So I took the
lines

Dim cn As New ADODB.Connection
Dim cn2 As New ADODB.Connection

cn.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
cn.Open "Data Source=" & strDb

and changed them to:

cn.Provider = "Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"
cn.Open "Data Source=" & strDb & "; Password=fred;"

but to no avail. I consistently get the message

"Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or
opened exclusively by another user."

This is A97, and I do not use Access security. If I set the code back as it
was I'm told, rightly, that I need a password but I don't seem to be able to
provide one. I guess the "workgroup information file" the message is
referring to is System.MDW but why does it have a problem with it? I've
tried copying the MDW from the System32 folder to where the MDB is. I've
tried copying the MDW from the folder where my live system lives to where
this MDB is. Neither helps. I'd appreciate any guidance on what's going on
here and what I'm doing wrong.

By the way 99.99% of my time I use DAO. This is ADO because, well because
that's the way this very clever code works. So my knowledge of ADO is very
.imited and I may therefore have made a very silly fundamental error. If so
do feel free to tell me.