[AccessD] CD/DVD R/W

Thu Dec 6 09:39:49 CST 2007

Max,

You seem to be mixing up RW disks with multi-session R disks (DVD or CD).

With a regular CD or DVD you can write data to it and then close the disk.
Which means that no more data can ever be written to it. Or you can make the
burner SW close the session but leave the disk open to allow more data to be
written to it later.

In the latter case, if you write a file to the disk in a subsequent session,
and the file path is the same as a file already recorded on the disk in a
prior session, then that's when the older data gets "hidden" and no longer
accessible. This will also result in the apparent capacity of the disk
reducing: burn a new version of a 100 Mb file onto the disk and that will
leave you with a 100 Mb of inaccessible data on the disk.

HTH

Lambert

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 1:01 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] CD/DVD R/W

John, this may be old information as I have'nt used RW for some years now,
but when I did use them then what it does was do "Hide" any erased data but
it could not remove it.  In effect this means that your AVAILABLE CD space
gradually diminished.  Ie, start off with 650Mb.  Save a 50Mb file, then
Delete it, then space available on the now blank CD was 600Mb. As I say,
this may not be the case these days, but worth checking. Max