[AccessD] BartPE

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Dec 6 09:45:17 CST 2007

Well of course you are right.  A firewall is just a firewall, its job is not
to prevent your system being compromised, it is in fact designed to prevent
a compromised system from calling out.

OTOH everyone recommends "layers" of security.  The incoming firewall
(router) is just the first layer, it is not the end all of security, we all
know that.  The next thing is a virus checker though they are losing the
battle.  The latest layer is a program that watches everything going on (and
this should be PART OF WINDOWS (but isn't)) and warns you if something tries
to install itself right after you click on a web site or so forth.
Counterspy is an example and all of the anti-malware companies are now
building these things.

I use DropMyRights (a sandbox) to run Outlook, IE and Foxpro.  Basically
those applications run at a level where they are not allowed to install
stuff. I can't even download things and then go to my downloads (from the
Firefox download box) and install things because that operation is
sandboxed.  If I want to install something I downloaded, I have to go open
explorer manually and go do the install.  If I want to install updates of
Firefox I have to open a non-sandboxed version of Firefox and let it update,
then shut down and open it via DropMyRights again to get it back in the
sandbox.

But given all the layers required, a software firewall plays its part.  IMO
the software firewall and counterspy need to be in the same package and in
fact Comodo is attempting to do just that as are the other players I am
sure.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting