[AccessD] Remote closing of Front Ends

Jim Hewson JHewson at karta.com
Tue Dec 11 10:03:45 CST 2007

Yes, you are correct.  I actually use something similar and I was trying to figure out where I got the sample, but I couldn't find it.

Basically, a table is placed in the BE named MsgCenter with the following fields:  ShowMsg - Yes/No - Set this to True/Yes to force Shutdown
Msg - Text - Message Display in ShutdownMsg from
MsgBxTitleBar - Text - Titlebar caption to display in ShutdownMsg from
MaxInactiveTime - Number - Max Inactivity Minutes
StartMonitor - Number - Time of day to start monitoring inactivity - 24 hour clock
EndMonitor - Number - Time of day to end monitoring inactivity - 24 hour clock

In either or both FE/BE - create an Admin form to control the table.

In the FE Create a form named - ShutDownMsg which uses the Msg and MsgBxTitleBar fields.

I also use a hidden form to open via the Autoexec that starts the process.
The hidden form looks at the fields Start Monitor (8 am) to End Monitor (17) and MaxInactiveTime (60 - one hour) to know when to open the msgform and shut down.

By simply clicking on the checkbox on the MsgCenter form, the shut down gives the users about a minute to finish what they are doing.

I started with 30 minutes of inactivity... then they wanted an hour... then a few hours... now its 8 hours... but at least I can shut them down when ever I need to do maintenance.

HTH

Jim
jhewson at karta.com