[AccessD] Access or SQL Server Express to web

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at users.mns.ru
Thu Dec 13 12:29:42 CST 2007

William,

I still to switch to VS8, hopefully in the beginning of the next year...

Yes, working with VS5 and sophisticated .aspx pages in design mode is a real
PITA. Pity MS didn't solve this issue in VS8 but after all working in markup
mode is not a big issue as you noted....

I have here a rather large ASP.Net solution - it's a set of 10+ projects
(ClassLibs) and I have to have ASP.NET part with VL classlib in one solution
while all the other stuff is in another solution - and there is no other way
to work with that within one ASP.NET solution because then recompile becomes
rather time consuming...

It's not a problem to have two solutions opened and have console test app to
test the classlibs and just have ASP.NET and VL parts calling the other
layers classlibs: when needed to debug/trace even without projects connected
to the ASP.NET solution I can "dive" into source code on the lower layers'
classlibs, which DLLs are referenced from ASP.NET solution - this is nice
feature of VS5 and VS8 I think...

Rather PITAful issue I'm getting here is that when recompiling/running in
test/debug mode many times my ASP.NET solution I'm getting harddisk space of
system disk degrading from about 2GB to less than 100MB! And then my W2K3
system "starts to complain" that system harddisk space is too low...

Quitting and restarting VS5 helps and so I just wanted to ask you: did you
ever experience something like considerable system disk space degradation
when working with your ASP.NET solutions? (I though that having 2GB free
space on System disk would be more than enough but it happens it is not (I
have most of the programs installed on D: drive and when I installed the
system I did assign total size of 10GB to my system drive and I thought that
would be plenty of space for a long time but it happens it is not...)

Just wanted to share some other "blues" VS5 brings sometimes...

But all in all VS5, C#/VB.NET and ASP.NET and related stuff is a great
development platform of course....

--
Shamil