[AccessD] Design Question

Bryan Carbonnell carbonnb at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 12:14:18 CST 2007

I have a design question from a colleague that I can't answer. It may
be because I haven't given it enough thought, or that I'm too rusty
when designing Access apps, but here goes for you wonderful folks.

I have 5 distinct categories, which will be table(s) (normalized):

People
Facility
Hardware
Software
Service Agreements

So far, so simple, right?

Now comes the hard part, and where I'm having problems

Any one of the tables can be associated with virtually any other table.

For example:
A piece of hardware can be assigned to a facility or person
A piece of software can be assigned to a person or hardware or facility
A service agreement can be assigned to hardware, software, person or facility

These are just some of the combos that are possible. Multiples are
also possible.
Multiple pieces of hardware can be assigned to a single or many
facilities or people
Multiple pieces of software can be assigned to a single or many people
/ hardware or facilities
Multiple service agreements can be assigned to a single or multiple
hardware, software, person or facility

How would you structure the tables to facilitate this? My brain can't
figure it out at the moment. I need to get back to programing and not
management. <sigh>

Any guidance or insight will be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"