[AccessD] Connections and Performance

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Feb 2 08:57:49 CST 2007

>Access has the potential for 8 simultaneous connections, but 3 of them are
reserved for the system's use.

But what does this mean?  Where does this come from?

I have Bes which have 30-40 Fes connected to them, i.e. have "links" to the
tables in them.  Is this what you are calling a "connection"?  In this case
I have 30-40 "connections" to my Bes.

IIRC Access has a limit of 255 simultaneous connections, but that has to do
with the lock file (the LDB).  Each FE with a link to ANY number of tables
in the BE has a single lock file entry in the LDB.  I have no idea what
happens if you run a query that uses the "in X:\MyMDB.mdb", but my
assumption is that would share the lock if any, and create a lock if none
existed already for that FE.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting