[AccessD] Connections and Performance

Dan Waters dwaters at usinternet.com
Fri Feb 2 22:12:53 CST 2007

Drew,

I read this somewhere - either in MS documentation or in a book where I
believe the author.

Here's the reason I was asking:

At a certain customer site, they experienced a dramatic performance slowdown
at a time when about 10 people were logged on concurrently.  Each client PC
has it's own FE.  I know that they open the system and leave the process
screens open, all of which are bound.  I want to suggest that they remember
to close the process screens so that just the main screen is open, which is
not bound.  This way a fewer number of connections are being used at any one
time and performance would probably be acceptable.  This particular
customer, I believe, does not have a very good network, so that is part of
the problem.  But that's unlikely to get improved, so I wanted to provide at
least a partial solution, hence my question.

I've also heard that a connection is made not based on whether a form is
open and bound, but on whether or not there is data traffic between to and
from a table, which only takes a small part of a second.

So what causes the performance slowdown when only 10 client PC's are logged
on, and what could be done to improve this?

Dan Waters