[AccessD] Design Question

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 7 12:57:28 CST 2007

HI Bryan:

I will add my comments inline.

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Bryan Carbonnell
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 7:43 AM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Design Question

On 2/6/07, Jim Lawrence <accessd at shaw.ca> wrote:

> The above would be correct (I will assume that each record in each of the
> tables has a field name ID) and if you add a table named 'CONNECTION' with

Correct assumption. I've bashed that into his head :)

> only two fields, additional to its own ID field.
>
> One field could be named OwnerID and the other field OwnedID. The records
in
> this table would be created when a relationship was established in code,
one
> for each relationship. The beauty of using this type of table is that
> one-to-one, one to many, backwards or forwards and even reciprocal
> relationships (the table could call it's self) could used...

How would you know which table the OwnerID and OwnedID belongs to?

1. The field named OwnerID would be the Parent and the OwnedID would be the
child.
2. It does not really matter as it could be a one to one or to many from
either direction.

> The only particular about this type of table is that you as the programmer
> would most likely have to maintain it with your code.... sorry not bound.
> This system works great and I have used it to resolve many similar issues.

In this case, I doubt it's gonna happen. He's not a programmer. Just a
manager :)

That is why there is programmer at your office. If the manager who I assume
has no programming experience, wishes to do it himself then it is not
possible. (Had a similar situation at a office; the manager, a Systems
Architect fooled around with a similar problem for 3 weeks before finally
asking me to do it... it took 3 hours to solve and code.)

Bryan Carbonnell - carbonnb at gmail.com
shouting "What a great ride!"