[AccessD] Abstract question

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Sun Feb 11 10:13:43 CST 2007

I didn't say it would be easy, Michael.

Where this is going, in case you need details, is this: UDAs (user-defined attributes). The concept is this: I have a Products table, containing the most obvious attributes, but the client is free to add attributes specific only to her situation. These would be stored in a UDA table, and keyed to the specific product, such that product A has 4 additional attributes while product B has 10. These attributes are stored as rows in table ProductAttributes and a query magically grabs all the relevant rows and turns them into a one-row result-set (I already know how to do this), and then I generate an autoForm that reflects the magically-generated row, so the user can edit it.

Arthur Fuller
Technical Writer, Data Modeler, SQL Sensei
Artful Databases Organization
www.artfulsoftware.com