[AccessD] combo from multiple sources

Mark A Matte markamatte at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 20 09:28:27 CST 2007

I'm originally from Lafayette, LA...and last month a good friend called for
a favor, for her friend, who happened to be a cop.  The favor was Access
Related(go figure)...so I looked at the db she was working on.  She had done
well with how the form looked and had most of the fields needed in some
table somewhere...but 1 PK for all the tables...and it didn't play well with
itself.

After hearing how they got to this point(here's a little history):  This is
to track arrests, drugs, and weapons.  Right now they write it down in a
notebook...and then go through the book and count the points of interest to
report up.  They have no budget...so she was trying to build it herself.
The officers take up a collection each week to have their 'Port-O-Jon"
emptied.

This kinda ticked me off.  I mean how long has it been...and the cops have
to pay for their own toilet?  What other service is local government
supposed to be providing, but can't because of lack of equipment/software?
How does social services know they need to go check on little mary or bobby
to make sure their getting fed???

Anyway, they just wanted a little 'shove' in the right direction with the
db...but it seemed more like pushing them off a cliff...so I built the data
model, all of the forms, and the logic needed to get the reports at the
end...and some reports...but I left the db open for her to change the
labels, colors, whatever...and to write additional queries as needed.

I couldn't charge them.  OK>>>Stepping down from podium<<<<<

Sorry about the rant...

At one point I wanted to show every name associated with a case in a combo
to identify which name was used.  This included alias's which were in a
different table.  So I needed data displayed from 2 different tables...and I
just used a UNION query as the source.

Does this address your question?

Thanks,

Mark A. Matte