[AccessD] Code Library, Sample Database, Etc.

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Tue Feb 20 14:37:50 CST 2007

I didn't mean to irk you, or to assert that ADO/SQL is better. All I meant was that having discovered this path several years back, I narrowed my focus to it. Given the requirements of the apps I was working on (~70 users in 4 branch offices hooked together via a WAN, and about 50K customers with multiple orders and payments each), it proved the best way to go. I have nothing at all against the MDB approach, except that it postpones the changes required in the event of dramatic success. Should employees multiply by 10 and sales go through the roof, that's a bad time to make the change. One could do it sooner rather than at the moment of crisis, by using SQL Express as the BE now. Then the change in the event that you have to go to SQL is trivial.

That's all I intended to say and infer. No slight upon DAO+MDB solutions was intended. Where they work well, they provide the best available Windows solution.

Arthur Fuller
Technical Writer, Data Modeler, SQL Sensei
Artful Databases Organization
www.artfulsoftware.com