[AccessD] Code Library, Sample Database, Etc.

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Tue Feb 20 16:26:32 CST 2007

Just an FYI, I have never had a corrupt .mdb where the interface was
strictly web based.  (that would be lots of .mdbs...probably 50+), used
in various frequencies (most mutli-user almost all the time within
working hours), and most have been online for at least 3 years....

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Robert L.
Stewart
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 4:12 PM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Code Library, Sample Database, Etc.

William,

PERSONAL OPINION FOLLOWING...

With the advent of MSDE and SQL Express, Access as a BE
should have disappeared. Even if you use an MDE against
it.  I have used Access since 1.0, co-authored a book on
it for Access 97, and taught a Special Interest Group since
1.0. Yes, with an extremely well designed front end and
back end Access will work wonders. However, with the members
of this group excluded, I have yet to see a really well
designed combination of the two. There are simply too many
people that think that is they can spell "Access Programmer,"
they are one.

ADO and DAO are irrelevant.  Pick your poison and use it.
Where I work now, we use both.

In my special interest group, we do not use Access for a BE.
I have stopped teaching the use of it and only showing SQL
Server.

Biased, you bet. Too many corrupt data files over the years
in Access.  Never had one in SQL Server. And I have been
using it since 3.21.  :-)

Robert

P.S.

Charlotte, I had my asbestos long johns on before I wrote it.  :-)
Fried or flamed, no problem.