[AccessD] Code Library, Sample Database, Etc.

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Feb 21 06:37:42 CST 2007

Hi William

Again your are so right.
Both Windows Server and Novell NetWare environments can be locked down to extremely restricted access - in NetWare you can have access to a file without being able to browse for it, meaning that you need to know the exact filename to retrieve it, and if you succeed (try to guess a GUID filename?) it will be logged.

Missing security is not caused by lack of options but lack of a true need. And if the need actually exists while security has not been implemented, the reason is sloppiness or lack of skills.
Further, very restricted access creates a heavy burden on the users and reduces their options, thus you will not apply it unless needed.

/gustav

>>> wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com 21-02-2007 00:25:14 >>>
...I'm left dazed by your disparagement of XP security! :)

...pray tell why in a 12 user office where no personal information is
available in the app, the xp user logon should not be sufficient to
determine access rights to forms needing restricted access based upon user
roles?

William Hindman ...apparently a paranoid programmer ...who knew? :)