[AccessD] Code Library, Sample Database, Etc.

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Feb 21 09:08:42 CST 2007

I'd like to check in with an observation on MDB vs SQL Server data store.
If you work remotely, and ever need to upload the data to work at your home
/ office, MDBs are much friendlier for that purpose.  Zip / upload and go.
One of my clients has a couple of tables out in SQL Server, the database for
which belongs to a payroll processing company.  Getting at that data here in
my office is a PITA.  I am actually exporting it to an mdb so that I can
upload it, then relinking to point to the mdb.

I am certainly not saying that this is a reason not to use sql server if it
is required, but where an mdb will perform, this is just one reason to leave
it in an mdb.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting