[AccessD] MDB to SQL Server

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 14:47:54 CST 2007

Martin:  No local PCs exist.  Everyone currently logs on to one of two
terminal servers reserved for our use.  The data resides on a gigabit
connected server with really fast drives.  All users see performance similar
to what I see on a gaming system laptop running purely local data with
exclusive access to the data file.  I suppose I could try caching to the
application server.

Caching locally would cut out the gigabit LAN and prove how much faster the
heavy iron is than my laptop, but I would then need to select to run unbound
locally and operate read only, connecting bound to the actual data when
needing to add/edit data.  It is certainly worthy of consideration.  This is
akin to Arthur's suggestion, which would involve replication.

I will try importing all the data to an FE on the server I use, lose the
links to the shared file and see what the maximum benefit of such an
approach would be.  I'm not convinced I will see much difference, but it
would be a benchmark of what can be attained.

Ciao
Jürgen Welz
Edmonton, Alberta
jwelz at hotmail.com