[AccessD] Can't Alter Values in a Query with Subquery

A.D.TEJPAL adtp at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 28 12:23:00 CST 2007

    If the result of a subquery is not required to be displayed, but merely to be used for setting up a criteria, the query remains updateable.

    On the other hand, if the subquery result has to represent a displayed column, the query becomes non-updateable.

    Following alternative remedial measures can be considered so as to ensure that the main query remains updateable:
    (a) Adoption of user defined functions in lieu of subquery.
    (b) Adoption of domain aggregate functions in lieu of subquery.

    It is also observed that calculated fields based upon subqueries can lead to problems if used for grouping levels in a report. That problem also stands addressed by the remedial measures suggested above.

A.D.Tejpal