[AccessD] OT: Excel Strips Leading Zeros

Darren DICK darrend at nimble.com.au
Mon Jan 29 19:04:32 CST 2007

Hi Team - Brains Trust Q

Can anyone tell me why excel strips leading zeros from the cells?

We have phone number information going out (via a system I have absolutely no
control over) and the phone numbers all include the area code but the leading
zero is being stripped

EG if I have a number 0298261234 it is shown in Excel as 298261234 - I.E. Excel
sees just numbers so it does the strip tease

But if one of the numbers has a 'space' in it EG 0213 1234 then the leading zero
is not stripped - Excel realises it is a mix of Alpha and Numerics thus does not
do the strip tease

Thus what we are sending out is the incorrect Phone Number

These form part of TelCo call records for invoices - The user cannot edit them

Are there any solutions/suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Darren