[AccessD] Updating Excel From Access

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Sat Jan 6 09:54:06 CST 2007

Hi folks
Years ago I wrote a little Access MDB for someone under A97. It's dead
simple. It reads a column of data from 1 Excel sheet via a query into an
Access table which has a unique index on that column/field (thereby
deduplicating the data) then writes that table back out to Excel worksheet 2
via a second append query. Piece of cake. Except that I get a call from this
guy to say they've gone to A2007 and it's stopped working. Now I don't have
A2007 but I do have AXP so I loaded it into that. Sure enough it fails
because the query which appends from the Access table to the 2nd Excel
worksheet says the query must be updateable and when I open the Excel
worksheet via the Access link to it sure enough it's read-only. This must be
one of those god-awful MS security 'enhancements' I guess. What's the
solution. So the long pre-amble leads to the simple question - how do I make
a linked Excel worksheet updateable?

-- Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk