[AccessD] [OT] OMG!!!!!!

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Jan 17 12:06:46 CST 2007

I started in the dark ages,  did an IPL ( Boot or Initial Program Load)
from a series of 16 toggle switches, you had a cheat sheet on the console
as you had to enter 3 sequences of these switches on an IBM 360 -50
to get the thing started. Old IBMers never say boot but instead re-IPL.

I think it was similar on a IBM 1610 but my memory gets foggy.

I do remember working on a CDC mainframe with no disks
You read your card deck to tape then by running against a  tape compiler
created a load go tape that you eventually executed from.

--
Marty Connelly
Victoria, B.C.