[AccessD] OMG!!!!!!

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jan 17 14:47:12 CST 2007

Jim,

I have WAY more free room than that.  My system drive (C:) has several
gigabytes left, hundreds of times the 20mb on that systems drive.

;-)

If it weren't for the cost of a high speed RAID controller, massive capacity
hard drives are now within reach for us average joes.  I have a real need of
course, but I bought 8 320g Seagates for $95 each delivered.  The RAID
controller cost me 60% of that amount at $500.  In the end, for about $1300
I built a raid 6 raid array which contains (after deducting 2 drives for
parity striping) 6 X 300 (real) gbytes for almost 1.8 terrabytes of storage.
And this thing is WICKED fast, streaming read data at over 300 mbytes / sec.
AND it can lose two drives and still continue to work.  For someone in my
position, that is an incredible bargain.

Now if I could just figure out how to back it up economically.  ;-)

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting