[AccessD] Linux file server backup

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Jan 18 09:45:10 CST 2007

Hi John

No, we are testing it currently to find a reliable and cheap alternative for off-site backup.

The purpose is two-fold. First to create a file backup, not a system backup; then to allow users quick and self-serviced read-only access to an on-line 24 hour old archive. Off-line backup should go to either traditional tape or a rotating set of external USB/Firewire harddrives.

The system will have some limitations. User rights granted on a system with sophisticated access control like NetWare will be lost, and databases and mail servers can probably only be backed up from db dumps. But the main purpose is to backup artwork, images, documents and similar typically stored in discrete closed files. As such, restore will be a simple copy back of the stored files.

We are looking for issues caused by "foreign" (non-US ASCII) characters in folder and file names when transferred between Windows and Linux systems.

/gustav

>>> jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com 18-01-2007 16:08 >>>
Gustav,

Do you use this?  Can you comment on actual performance, speed and usage?
Does the system maintain a bunch of file fragments that it reconstructs in
the event a restore is needed?  Or does it magically "fix up" the target
backup file so that it is a single file that can then be transferred back if
needed?

Have you ever tested the restore?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting