[AccessD] OT: Excel Strips Leading Zeros

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Tue Jan 30 09:08:49 CST 2007

Excel tries to automatically determine what input is a number and which is
text. You can put a ' as the first character and this will force Excel to
recognize the input as a string. This is an old holdover form Lotus 123.
Also you can format the column (or row) as a text column

Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: Darren DICK [mailto:darrend at nimble.com.au]
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 7:05 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] OT: Excel Strips Leading Zeros

Hi Team - Brains Trust Q

Can anyone tell me why excel strips leading zeros from the cells?

We have phone number information going out (via a system I have absolutely
no
control over) and the phone numbers all include the area code but the
leading
zero is being stripped

EG if I have a number 0298261234 it is shown in Excel as 298261234 - I.E.
Excel
sees just numbers so it does the strip tease

But if one of the numbers has a 'space' in it EG 0213 1234 then the leading
zero
is not stripped - Excel realises it is a mix of Alpha and Numerics thus does
not
do the strip tease

Thus what we are sending out is the incorrect Phone Number

These form part of TelCo call records for invoices - The user cannot edit
them

Are there any solutions/suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Darren