[AccessD] Many to Many problem part 2 - the tables and question

Kathryn Bassett kathryn at bassett.net
Wed Jul 18 13:13:53 CDT 2007

Read part 1 first so you understand what the database is about.

I have these three tables.

tblCScollections
	tblCScollectionID int(7)
	tblCScollectionName varchar(50)
populated with the 11 collections we have at present.

1 AckleyCarolyn
2 DunnPhillip
3 GardnerDavid
4 HilbigWalter
5 HollingsworthHarry
6 PriceRichard
7 SmithJeremiah
8 MillsVirginia
9 MooreWilburta
10 MottAnita
11 SmithConley

tblCSnames
	tblCSnamesID int(7)
	tblCSlastname varchar(50)
	tblCSfirstname varchar(50)
populated with

1 Van Horn 	G. Armour
2 Bassett 	Kathryn
3 Day 	Win
4 Sullivan 	Stephanie
5 Gentry 	Doug
6 Lohmar 	Michael

tblCSmemos
	tblCScollectionID
	tblCSnamesID
	tblCSmemo
not populated at all at present

Bottom line is that I now understand the two+middle table concept. The inputting of data into the database is where I'm having a problem.

The flat way I *had* been thinking (using spreadsheet analogy) is that column A/B is lastname/firstname, column B is collectionID1, column C is the memo for collectionID1 and the rest of the columns are like columcs C/D for each collection. I put "true" in each collection ID column that the name in row 2 (or 3 or 4) appears in.

Now if Win Day (nameID=3) was ONLY in one collection, then a dropdown box of the collection names would work. But since nameID=3 is in multiple collections and may or may not have a memo, I'm not clear on how to do the input.

Help?

--
Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
"Genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"