[AccessD] Performance tips anyone?

Anita Smith anitatiedemann at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 20:00:17 CDT 2007

Annie,
There are a number of things you can do to speed up an Access Database. I
haven't looked at the link you provided, but here are a few suggestions
based on my experience over the years:

* Make sure your tables contain indexes on the fields frequently used for
criteria in queries
* Put the criteria on the ONE side of the relationship in queries
* Don't open forms and reports with large underlying recordsources. If
possible open the forms with only 1 underlying record - not a whole table.
* I have found that opening a form specifying the procedure arguments makes
it open faster
  DoCmd.OpenForm "MyForm", acNormal, , , acFormEdit instead of
  DoCmd.OpenForm "MyForm"

Upgrading to A2003 probably won't make much difference.

Using Runtime mode should not make it run any slower either.

SQL server Express is a great option, but you would probably have to rewrite
the form and report recordsources to really take advantage of it. It is not
hard to set up. I think there is an upgrade wizard that will upgrade an
Access Database to SQL Server.

I think that 10-12 users is the absolute maximum you will get out of an
Access database it will continue to get slower over the years as the
database grows. At some stage you would probably have to upgrade to SQL
server.

I hope this helps a bit.

Anita