[AccessD] Performance tips anyone?

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Thu Jul 5 00:09:37 CDT 2007

Annie,

If you have forms with lots of comboboxes, it certainly helps if you
don't populate them unless and until they are needed, i.e. set the Row
Source on their Enter event.

Similarly, if you have forms with subforms on different pages of a tab
control, leave the Source Object of the subforms blanks, and only set it
if and when that tab is selected.

And here's another thing I only found out about this week... the first
time a saved query is run after the database is compacted, will be slow,
because the query plan has to be re-created.  So if you compact/repair
the front-end application file, queries will run slow the first time,
and forms based on queries will open slowly the first time.  An argument
against 'Compact On Close' - but then, for memory, I don't think Comapct
On Close was available in Access 97.

Regards
Steve