[AccessD] Performance tips anyone?

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu Jul 5 14:06:16 CDT 2007

I never said anything about hard to use unbound, I said suited to unbound.
It plainly is NOT.  Access is designed from the ground for bound.  It is
like taking a Mercedes and yanking the engine out, taking a cutting torch to
the frame and trying to stuff a Chevy v8 in it, then splice in all other
systems.  Yea, it can be done, but it is not "well suited" for that.  ANY
unbound is harder than bound (regardless of the engine), because you are
doing all of the work that the built in "bound code" does for you
automatically.  You know that Charlotte, you just like to argue.

I (bound) do not have to do any locking, etc.  You do.  And there are TONS
of other things that come with the bounded-ness that you either do not
provide, or code in all over again.  In my personal opinion, it IS hard to
use unbound for exactly those reasons.  If I wanted to write code to replace
the Access bound engine I would not use the Access bound engine!!!  At least
not if I were starting a project today, July 2007.

And of course I do count you in with Drew.  Those who have done it so long
they forgot the pain.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting