[AccessD] Performance tips anyone?

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Jul 5 14:54:58 CDT 2007

I've only played around in .Net.  Have not really found a use for it
yet.  Not that it's a bad language or system, it's just that everything
I do already has the VB runtimes, and I have so much VB code that I just
am sticking with VB 6 for now.  So I can't debate what VB.Net can and
can't do.

As far as Access goes, I haven't been doing Access unbound very often.
I usually just use Access as the db.  But as far as Access Front Ends
go, I'll through in a form or report when I need it for small projects,
but if I am going to be building a full blown access front end, I
usually am making it unbound, mainly due to limitations on bound
objects.

Let me explain, most of the Access FE work is stuff I'm doing as side
work.  At the moment, I only have one person asking for that, and he can
do a lot in Access already.  So I get the projects that are a little
more then 'cookie cutter' style.

For instance, the last big one I built was an inventory system.  Some of
what they needed to do went beyond what bound can do naturally.  So
instead of trying to cram the bound 'mold' into what they wanted to do,
I built the business logic into Class modules.  Everything tied in
together, so when something was update in one place, the events alerted
every affected process.  By it's very nature, this type of business
layer has to be unbound (because a bound form leaves the business logic
out).  My point in this, is that it depends on the project goals.

Of course, as we all know, our work is a lot like art.  Everyone has
their own styles and preferred tools.

Drew