[AccessD] Performance tips anyone?

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Jul 5 15:02:52 CDT 2007

If the tabs in the database window stopped at forms, I would almost
agree.  However, access has a WONDERFUL reporting capability.  I have
written a handful of 'unbound' reports, but only a handful.  Every other
report I have written is as bound as they come.

As I just explained in my last post, the advantage of creating an
unbound interface is the control.  With reporting, you are just allowing
data to be viewed (nothing is being modified), so the need for control
isn't there.

Reports aside, however, there are other reasons to use Access unbound.
The end users want the Access interface is a big one.

Please keep in mind, this debate isn't about which is better.  Building
bound Access apps is great.  Access excels at it.  This debate is about
the validity of creating unbound Access apps...which Access also does
quite well with.  Hard to prove it's not valid when several good
examples have been given why it is valid.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Jim Dettman
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 2:00 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Performance tips anyone?

Charlotte,

  I side with John on this one.  If your going to use Access unbound,
you
might as well not bother.

Jim.

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI BusinessSensitve material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.