[AccessD] Sample Of Talking between applications WAS(Talking between Applications.)

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Jul 16 16:52:08 CDT 2007

Ok, I have gotten to a point with the code where I can give you a
sample.  After this, my code is going to be very specific for the
application I'm working on.  I broke the system down to 3 class modules,
one basic module, and a form.

Here's what the components do: (the system I'm working on is the ISFE
(Information Services Front End, so that's why I have things
prefixed,etc with ISFE).

Class: ISFEMessage:  This is a class used to manage the data sent
between applications.  It has a message type, data collection, etc.
Messaging through windows only allows two Long Integer parameters.  This
class creates a 'temp' window to allow for the transfer of more
information (text).  So it has code to create, read and destroy that
temp window, and it breaks the data into a collection to be used.  In my
sample, the first parameter is used as the message type, the second can
be used as a single datapoint, for instance, one of the things the ISFE
Monitor (application I am building to support the ISFE) is going to do,
is monitor for new requests.  When it finds a new request, it can
message the ISFE with just the Ticket Number (which is a long integer),
so it doesn't need the 'temp' window process.

Class: ISFEMessaging:  This class is the core messaging class.  It
creates a window to subclass and monitor for windows messages.  The
first line in it's initialization code registers a unique windows
message "ISFEMessage".  That string can be anything.  You could have 2
different systems that register their own unique message ID, and the
same code will only pick up it's particular window messages.

Class: ISFEMonitoring:  This class does the work for messages coming
through.  The demo just has code for a 'pulse' which justs sends dummy
messages back and for.

Module: SubClassingHook:  This module has a global variable for an
instance of ISFEMessaging, and then has the callback procedure to hook
the window used in ISFEMessaging.

Form:  Just sample code to show how to use the above four objects.

I'll send an email with the source for each of these.

Drew