[AccessD] Primary Key Best Practices

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Thu Jul 26 06:33:07 CDT 2007

John,

<<>Have you ever created a one table relational database? (OK, smart alecs -
that remained so.)

Of course not, it would not be a relational db if there was not a child
table.>>

  That is not correct.  A "relation" does not refer to the relationship
between two tables, it refers to the tables themselves.

  When designing a relational system, before you can start the normalization
process with 1NF, you have to form the relations using the following rules:

The relation
1. Describes one entity.
2. Has no duplicate rows; hence there is always a primary key.
3. Columns are unordered.
4. Rows are unordered.

  Most definitely yes a single table is relational.

Jim.