[AccessD] VBA abandoned in Office 2008 for Mac

Ken Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 11:08:08 CDT 2007

(Marty)
 > Are you reading the same post. He is discussing 2007 macros and VBA ...

Yes, the same post. Just lines below your quote, a reader asks point-blank:

"However do you confirm that VBA will be supported from the next release
of Access?"

No answer.

You can interpret that any way you care, but I don't consider that a
positive confirmation that VBA will be natively supported in Office 14.
A just-as-plausible interpretation is that VBA is replaced with VSTA in
the next Office, and we get a separate conversion/backwards
compatibility tool with read-only legacy VBA support, a-la Mac. And
Office 2007 users still have 7 or 8 years of  legacy support for their
VBA apps. That scenario meets the letter of Clint's rather bland
affirmation.

Recall, all development of VB6 and VBA ceased in 1998. Microsoft has a
10-year legacy support window. Now, in 2008, VBA is gone in the latest
Office release. All extended support for VB6 has ceased. It would be
extraordinary for Microsoft to continue including unsupported code in
its upcoming Office releases.

Microsoft is putting nearly a billion dollars into the next version of
Office. All of that code will be .NET code. That sounds like a complete
rewrite to me.

In my view, the consequences of thinking maybe its time to look at new
technologies are only positive, while the consequences of assuming VBA
will always be around are neutral at best, and could potentially be bad
for your career, if you do lose your bet.

So, I think it is incumbent on the 'VBA forever' side to come up with
the home-run: a clear affirmation of native VBA support in Office 14
from a credible source.

-Ken