[AccessD] Memory hit

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Jun 10 10:43:10 CDT 2007

I did not say that you were the enemy of frameworks, I said frameworks
appear to be your enemy (or so you are saying).  There is a distinct
difference.

It is quite possible (though tedious as hell) to break any library down into
minimum sized modules.  Simply place every function that calls nothing else
into a single module.  Then only that function loads.  Spend the next 6
years tediously studying which functions call other functions and attempt to
place all functions that interrelate in separate modules such that the
entire module loads, but it has to anyway since everything in there is
needed.

Or... Write classes where the code required for the class is embedded in the
class.  Place the classes in the library.

Or accept that this is the way things are if you want to use Access and deal
with it.

Shamil talks about "mature code bases", which surely exist.  It doesn't mean
they are bug free, simply that they are mature.  And if you have the tools
to handle accurately logging code as you create code, and as you fix bugs,
and as you modify it to add to or change the functionality, then perhaps it
is possible to have "mature code bases".  I think doing that in Access is a
stretch.

I think you enjoy intellectual discussions, and I think you love your
CodeLib or whatever it is called.  To each his own.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting