[AccessD] Problem with Intial Reattach

Tony Septav iggy at nanaimo.ark.com
Tue Jun 19 11:39:00 CDT 2007

Charlotte Foust wrote:
I have been doing the reattach with mdes for years.
On the initial install of the program a form pops up and asks the user
to input the path to the backend. The program checks first to make sure
the backend can be located in the path they have indicated then it
establishes the links. It also records the path in a table, in the front
end. Every time the user starts up the program it gets the path and
checks to insure the backend still exists in the path (in case the IT
people have moved it), if not it pops up a form indicating to the user
that the backend cannot be found in the current path, and to enter in a
new path (and it runs its' checks and reattaches to the new location).
There is an option to ReAttach tables in the utilties on the Main Menu
that will allow the user to link to a new location for the backend. On
troublesome networks I usually get the user to attach to the backend on
the local drive, then once we confirm the installation went fine and
everything is working in the program, they can then attach to the
backend on the network drive.  This way if we run into network problems
we can inform the IT people the program is working fine, but we got
network problems.