[AccessD] Developing European Applications

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jun 20 08:05:47 CDT 2007

Sounds like a framework service to me.  clsFrm pulls data out of the
language string table based on the name of the form.  Before the form opens
it writes the data out into the labels.

Organize the tables such that there is a FormCtl table which has a form name
column, and a control name column and a PK.  A child formLanguage table has
a FK back to a record in the FormCtl table, an FK to a Language table
(french, german, english, Dutch), and then a record for each language you
need to translate to.  Place a language ID out in a language variable in the
framework, then have frmClass dynamically build a SQL statement to pull all
records from the formControl table joined to FormLanguage table for the
indicated language, for the form currently opening.  clsFrm then iterates
that recordset distributing the language string based on the control name.

>From that point on it works for any form, for any control, for any language.

You might need a property field in the FormLanguage table to allow for
things like control tim text, status bar text and caption.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting