[AccessD] MS Access and data-driven websites

Christopher Hawkins clh at christopherhawkins.com
Fri Jun 22 13:17:35 CDT 2007

I agree with you guys that SQL Server (especially with SQL Server Express being so good and so free) is the best choice.  However, I deal mainly with small businesses and a fair portion of the time, these guys don't have their own server, don't want to pay to use my SQL Server, or already have their site on $10/month shared hosting and won't spring for the extra $5/month to add SQL Server.  Dropping an mdb file into their webspace is the quick and dirty solution for clients whoare only willing to pay for quick & dirty.  :)

Of course, the clients who have a little vision and are willing to spend money on the industrial grade stuff get SQL Server back-ends.  I recommend SQL to everyone, but some of them balk.  And don't even get me started on the "fix-it" projects where I have to go in and repair sites that are underperforming.  Ugh.
The difference tends to be between clients who do not understand the value their site provides to the business, and clients who do.  I mean really, $5/month to add SQL to your shared hosting?  For the love of all that's holy, crawl off the dime.  :p

Anyway, my point was not that SQL Server is not the best choice - clearly it is; I'm focusing my whole business around it - but rather that MS Access is not the kiss of death for web back-ends that many seem to think it is.

That said, if I never had to do another MS Access back-end again, I'd be OK with that.

Robert:  I hear you on hosting multiple sites out of one database.  I've got a database that is serving up content for 8 different sites.  We tagged every record with a SiteID and it's off to the races!  Good stuff.

-C-