[AccessD] External Hard Drive

Ken Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 10:28:47 CDT 2007

Some thoughts on external hard drives:

USB drives are great -- but if you want storage you can share, you
should consider moving up to a NAS (Network Attached Storage) solution.
NAS is a fancy name for a dedicated file server in a custom enclosure.

 * Warning: If you are in the market for NAS, you might see a little
unit from NetGear, called the SC101. It's cute. It's cheap. It's a piece
of crap. It is not true NAS, but a poorly-executed SAN device with some
half-assed NAS features. I made the mistake of getting one, and boy do
I  regret it! It has a hugely bad reputation on the Web. So, a friendly
word: DO NOT buy this device!

 * You are far better off getting a true NAS device (starting at ~ $150
on up).

 * If you have an old computer, why not turn it into your own custom
NAS? It is a good way to reuse old hardware. There are two free,
open-source projects that let you do just that: FreeNAS
(http://www.freenas.org/index.php), which is FreeBSD-based, and
Openfiler (http://www.openfiler.com/), which is Linux-based.

-Ken