[AccessD] Back again....

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Sat Mar 3 02:41:31 CST 2007

Hi Bruce

Welcome back!

How is your experience with Postgres?

I haven't worked that much with the topics you mention (I stay off maximized forms), except that bookmarks need to be set after a change of the recordset. Use the ID to quickly locate the record again.

/gustav

>>> bbruen at unwired.com.au 03-03-07 6:19 >>>
Hi folks,

I'm baaaaack!  After a long absence in the wonderful world of penguins and
prostgres I've got another job with an M$-bound client.  So its back to
Access to get the job done.

What I have though is a perennial problem with forms event handling.  It seems
to me that the way A23k is processing form events is inconsistent at the
least.  Let me give a few examples.

1. The standard open event sequence is disturbed by any action taken within a
handler for that event that affects screen rendering.  So, putting a
DoCmd.Maximize in the onOpen handler for instance causes an immediate and
cascaded Load=>Resize=>GotFocus=>Resize chain to occur.  I realize that
the "proper place" for the maximize is in the onActivate handler, but this is
an example to better explain the following...

2. There appears to be no way to get a consistent, i.e. across the board, way
to get a "DoCmd.GotoRecord acRecord" to happen.  I have tried to put it in
the onLoad handler, but then Shift F9 doesn't fire this??

3. Similarly, filtering or sorting (in a continous records form) keeps putting
the bookmark back at the first record in the dataset.  Is there no built in
way to keep the bookmark at the current record?

4. Conditional formatting on a continuous form generates multiple refreshes
which is a major eyesore on the load.  I have tried in vain to use Echo
False/Echo True in the event handler chain to stop this to no avail.  Has
anyone got a solution?

--
regards

Bruce