[AccessD] A question of design philosophy... n-tier

artful at rogers.com artful at rogers.com
Mon Mar 19 07:32:27 CDT 2007

I second that emotion, Stuart, but only halfway.

If it were I, then my choice would be a trigger for updates and a pair of defaults for inserts. Concerning issues such as this, Fuller's Law is, "Whatever the back end can do, the back end should do." The Business Logic layer (IMO) is for business logic, which is to say logic that does not readily if at all conform to what is possible in the back end. For example, check constraints are sometimes insufficient weaponry to perform the given task at hand. In that case, you confront a fork in the road. You could code a sproc to do what is necessary, or you could bump the logic up to the middle-tier guys. There are advantages to both scenarios. If it's done in the business logic area, then it can be done prior to the Submit to the back end -- and the business layer can preclude unacceptable combinations of values. If it's done in the back end, the middle-tier guys may think that the problem is out of their hands, but in fact they have the responsibility to encode their Submits
 such that they should always work.

Arthur