[AccessD] Obtaining IP Address

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Thu Mar 22 14:26:59 CDT 2007

Here is an alternate method of getting IP address.

Public Sub GrabIPAddress()
'retrieves users IP address from website dyndns.org
' looking back at machine from outside firewall
' uses XPath to parse returned html page
'website has been up 5 years.
'page returned  is html text
Dim objHTTP As New MSXML2.XMLHTTP
'need to set reference to xml 4.0 or late bind
Dim strWebPage As String

On Error Resume Next
'Retrieve Web Page URL

strWebPage = "http://checkip.dyndns.org/"

objHTTP.Open "POST", strWebPage, False

    objHTTP.setRequestHeader "Content-Type", _
    "application/x-www-form-urlencoded "

objHTTP.send
'check for http errors

If Err.Number Or objHTTP.status <> "200" Then
  'errors include 501 500 and (404 page not found)
   MsgBox Err.Number & Err.Description
   MsgBox objHTTP.status
   MsgBox "Cannot retrieve page!"

   Debug.Print Err.Number & Err.Description
   Exit Sub
End If
' look at the response
      Debug.Print objHTTP.getAllResponseHeaders
        Debug.Print objHTTP.statusText
        Debug.Print objHTTP.responseText
'Pass Response back from Server
 Debug.Print objHTTP.responseText
 'Now parse the returned xml for specific nodes via XPath
 Dim xmlDoc As New MSXML2.DOMDocument
  Dim objNodeList As IXMLDOMNodeList
  Dim objNode As MSXML2.IXMLDOMNode

     xmlDoc.async = False
     xmlDoc.loadXML objHTTP.responseText
     'error check dom load here and use XPath method for node selection
     xmlDoc.setProperty "SelectionLanguage", "XPath"

    Set objNodeList = xmlDoc.documentElement.selectNodes("//body")
    Debug.Print objNodeList.length
      For Each objNode In objNodeList
        Debug.Print objNode.Text
      Next