[AccessD] But only Partly

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Thu Mar 22 16:46:24 CDT 2007

That's *above* 150 ft.  Below 150ft, the blades don't have sufficient time
to build up the necessary momentum to allow you to flare them and slow your
final descent.

It's much safer to be in a helicopter at 1000ft than at 100ft.

It's also  lot easier to find somewhere to put a helicopter down safely if
the engine fails that it is for a fixed wing aircraft.

(the New Zealand Army taught me to fly both, many years ago  <g>)

On 22 Mar 2007 at 9:26, Robert L. Stewart wrote:

> Only if you are below 150 ft.
> Above that, you are dead.
>
> One of the reasons I will never fly in one.  :-)
>
> I have been in a single engine plane that the engine failed
> in.  We were able to glide to a landing strip and made it
> without any real problem. T-38 trainer. Gliding is their
> backup system.
>
> Auto-rotation on a chopper only works to a point.
>
> At 09:14 AM 3/22/2007, you wrote:
> >Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 14:03:48 +0100
> >From: "Helmut Kotsch" <hkotsch at arcor.de>
> >Subject: Re: [AccessD] OT: But only Partly
> >To: "Access Developers discussion and problem solving"
> >         <accessd at databaseadvisors.com>
> >
> >Hello Gustav,
> >
> >even a helicopter wan't fall down like a rock if the engine quits. They
> >have an autorotate mode which allows for a safe landing.
> >
> >Helmut

Stuart