[AccessD] SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition

Bill Patten bill_patten at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 24 10:35:33 CDT 2007

Actually it has some nice features. You could for example create a nice
dispatch program for service tech's using a full SQL Server backend. Then
write a Field Tech version for PDA's using SQL CE. When the tech returns to
the shop in the evening he can sync wirelessly to the main SQL server.

Since SQL CE is not a service, the tech could easily drag the SDF file from
the PDA and drop it on his home PC. Then using a front end on the PC,
connect to the database, complete the service tickets (Much easier than
typing on a PDA.) and drag the file back to the PDA and sync in the morning
when he gets back to the shop. This would work in many other field type
operations and the fact that now you can connect to the database with a PC
much more flexible.

I am using the sync process for my PDA for a home grown PIM, time card
tracker etc, and it works easily. Writing the PDA front end in dot net on
the other hand was not easy. <grin>

Bill

SQL Server 2005 CE is the latest iteration of SQL CE / SQL Mobile / SQL
Everywhere, the just can't settle on a name.