[AccessD] OT: Virtual PC 2007

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri May 18 21:50:17 CDT 2007

I just wanted to report that I have spent most of the day getting virtual PC
2007 installed and a virtual PC XP Pro functioning on one of my windows 2003
servers.  I am installing everything imaginable on the system, and will then
make copies to actually run on.  Got PC XP Pro installed, SP2, all the
updates, Office 2003, WinZip, Adobe Reader, 3DFTP, Comodo Firewall, etc.

It is all running very well.  It took a little while to figure out, for
example no USB drives at all apparently, but you can drag and drop a
directory from the host to the virtual PC so I just plug the usb drive in to
the host and then drag n drop what I need off the drive onto the virtual pc.

I made the virtual pc a 256 mb machine with a 30gb hard drive.  For ordinary
office / browsing it seems to be sufficient.  What I am considering doing is
dragging a copy off onto my new laptops when they arrive.  It is definitely
cool to be able to set up a machine, then just drag an image over to another
machine, install Virtual PC 2007 and fire it up and have everything
"instantly installed".  Of course 30g doesn't just drag instantly, it will
definitely take 10 minutes or so.

My wife's laptop died and she has been sharing my PC since.  Then my laptop
died.  I think I will make a copy of the new virtual machine on one of the
servers, run it, make her a mcolby user as she had on her old machine,
install her old Outlook PST file and all her My Documents stuff and have her
up and running in her own virtual machine.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting