[AccessD] FMS Inc. Sourcebook

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu May 3 12:08:07 CDT 2007

>I wasn't making excuses for anything, John.

>I agree with you about libraries in principle, but when you build something
that works one-off, you stuff the code into Code Librarian as a template in
case you need to do something similar.  It's very handy for reference
instead of trolling the internet for hours looking for the right example.  I
don't know about you, but I'm not omniscient enough to know that *this
precise version of a routine* belongs in a library so I can use it over and
over.  I generally wait until the usefulness is clear before I start
building libraries.  Also, libraries in Access can be a pain when you have
to distribute them, since they don't compile into a dll.  If your library
gets deleted, you are SOL.  And since libraries should be mdes, every time
you "update"
one, you have to rebuild it.

Hmm... OK, I INTERPRET these as excuses for using cut and paste.  Now tell
me what they REALLY are?  There is absolutely nothing in that whole
paragraph that validates cutting and pasting potentially bug infected code
into an application when such code should be in a library, but that
paragraph was sent in response to my pointing out the problems with cut and
paste.

;-)

>You use uncompiled libraries and I don't.

Using a compiled library is fine by me, I just don't.  In the Access
environment it causes more problems than it fixes (as you so nicely pointed
out).

>You're persuaded your way is right and I'm not.

My way of doing what?  If you are talking about libraries vs. cut and paste,
then yep, I am convinced that "my" way is right.  So is the industry.  In
fact it is not my way at all, I just do what I do because it makes sense to
do that.  As I said before, I did not invent this stuff, libraries existed
while I was still in diapers.  Well.... OK, while I was still in grade
school.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting