[AccessD] FMS Inc. Sourcebook

JWColby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Thu May 3 12:39:45 CDT 2007

ROTFL.

If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS.

Worked didn't it?

8~0

>The difference is that libraries in managed code are compiled into a dll.
Once that happens, they are no longer available to be messed with by the
curious, and they are true libraries, as opposed to mdbs with a different
name and a breakable reference in the tools menu.

Charlotte, MDAs / MDEs are all we have in Access.  To say that they are not
a library because they can't be compiled into a DLL is simply not true.  To
say that they aren't a library because they can be messed with or that the
reference can be broken also isn't true.  A library is nothing more than a
group of code maintained on one place and distributed for use.  How you do
the distribution has nothing whatsoever to do with the concept of single
point maintenance of the source code.  THAT is what makes a library.

You can have a library in something like Code Librarian.  What you CAN'T do
is claim that you are using a library if you distribute the library by
cutting and pasting pieces from it directly into the application.  As soon
as you do that you are no longer using a library, you are building an
application with all of its code embedded in it.  People do that all the
time, and in a small shop where there is only one application then there is
absolutely no point in a library.  The application IS the library and the
fix is done at a single place, in the application (which is the library).
No foul, no harm done.  As soon as you cut and paste code from that
application into another application... you should be using a library, for
BOTH applications, with all the shared code in the library.

And that, as they say, is that.

I made a comment in one of the posts that "others have also talked about
cutting and pasting".  I get the feeling that you thought I was poking a
stick at you.  I wasn't, but poking a stick at you is definitely fun.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting