[AccessD] Access at a distance

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Thu May 10 09:09:49 CDT 2007

I've got a question, which I've never had answered satisfactorily. Does Access pull the entire DB over a line, when accessed remotely, or does it just pull a sub-set of the date, as requested by a query?

The reason I am asking is that we have an Access DB, designed by the state, that is currently being used in a Niagara Falls department. They have another office in Lockport, which is about 20-25 miles, to the East, and they just asked that we install this program (the client) on two PCs in the Lockport office.

I think that it is going to run dog slow, because whenever I've tried to run a few programs I have up there, from my desk...also in Lockport...it is very slow. I don't mind so much, because I am usually just checking things out, or troubleshooting something, but if I have to do anything major, I copy it down to my PC to do the work, and then load it back up.

My boss seems to think it is fine. He said, at his former company they ran an Access app between Niagara Falls and Dallas, and it was slow but doable. He said an operation that ran in 2 sec., would now take about 20 sec.. This is fine for someone like me, to do something once in a while, but a data entry person will go nuts w/these times.

So, basically I am looking for some definitive information regarding this, so that I can make a better decision about going ahead w/this.

Thank you!

John W Clark