[AccessD] Access at a distance

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Thu May 10 10:14:13 CDT 2007

This is one of the things I am unsure about, but it may come down to terminology. You mention FE queries vs. BE queries. My programs all have FE programs calling BE data, and the queries are all contained in the FE. Is this all you mean, or am I missing something?

Also, what do you mean by, "full cursor" and "cursor transfer?"

>>> Bruce Bruen <bbruen at unwired.com.au> 5/10/2007 10:29 AM >>>
John,

Fundamentally, AFAIK, Access will use a full cursor transfer for each SQL
access to the data.  So if your app is not tuned for network performance
using FE/client side queries instead of BE/server queries, you get the full
cursor transfer everytime you access the BE.
Note, SELECT f1,f2,..fn from T1 JOIN T2,..Tn WHERE blah=blahblah; executed
from the client side will get you the whole damn dataset as it is the client
that is executing the SQL parsing and processing. IOW you are transferring
the entire set of tables from T1 to Tn.

AFAIK, this is still true at A23k.

What I dont know (thankfully) is whether the age old problem of cursor
transfer via Novell still exists, as (thankfully) I haven't been exposed to
that notworking protocol for over 5 years... and with a bit of luck...