[AccessD] DAO vs ADO

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue May 15 11:33:57 CDT 2007

Hi Drew

Couldn't you, with ADO, have referred to that combo the same way Tom did (thread: Cross Tab Query Help Requested)?

/gustav

>>> DWUTKA at marlow.com 15-05-2007 18:22 >>>
That is a pretty loaded question, and you've already gotten several
answers.

I'd like to point out on particular quirk in a little more detail.  I
use ADO for practically everything.  ADO is more flexible then DAO,
since DAO is designed specifically for JET, where ADO is more generic.
However, when working with Access, ADO has some limitations.  One such
limitation, which has been mentioned is that DAO understands Access
objects (I believe Charlotte pointed this out.), but that affects more
then just trying to manipulate those objects, in fact, it's something
that I ran into last night.

I had a query I wanted to access through code.  The query had a criteria
based on a combo box on a form.  ADO would not run the query, because it
doesn't know what Forms!frmSomething!cmbSomething is.  DAO would run it,
but ADO failed.  I still stuck with ADO, and built the SQL as a string
using the value in the combo box, but if I had used DAO, I could have
used a prebuilt query.

Drew