[AccessD] OT: Virtual PC 2007

Francisco Tapia fhtapia at gmail.com
Mon May 21 13:56:38 CDT 2007

woo hoo John, :)
          Welcome to the world of virtualization... :).  There is literally
a free-ing experience when you move to virtual machines (in your case vpc).
I don't remember the cause for USB support in VPC, but in VMware you are
able to use USB 1.1 in Vmware workstation 5 and USB 2.0 in VMware 6.  They
also give you a "free" VMware Server that you can use on your server apps to
run other servers or windows xp/linux etc machines.

VMware doesn't give away the workstation for free, bu they do offer a VMware
Converter product that allows you convert existing pc's into VM's  I've used
it well with great sucess although for XP you have to go through the whole
re-activation process :S arg.  other than that minor hiccup, it works
extreamly well!

While I also tried VPC from MS, I found that you must absolutly install the
SPs before it runs halfway decently.  Also I found that if you want to run
VServer and want to automate the shutdown process for backups etc, it's much
more cumbersome than in VMware where it's a single line batch file :).

btw, it is worth looking into Vmware 6.  It's paid off for me already w/
dual monitor support, usb2 and some 3d support, it works out really well as
a gaming pc for my daughter (3yrs old) and me. :).

On 5/19/07, Shamil Salakhetdinov <shamil at users.mns.ru> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Did anybody try VMWare? After MS went free with Virtual PC VMWare did also
> release some free products - and what these products allow to do look very
> powerful and useful:
>
> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
> http://www.vmware.com/products/server/
>
> with a lot of preconfigured free systems one can use:
>
> http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/
>
> I didn't try them yet but I plan to...
>
> --
> Shamil