[AccessD] Error 3314 (required field) - trap in form_error

Steve Schapel miscellany at mvps.org
Sun May 27 18:21:52 CDT 2007

Hi Dan,

Dan Waters wrote:

> The ZLS in memo fields occurs when a user has initially entered some data,
> and then erases that data.  After that, the code doesn't see a null value,
> but does see a ZLS - odd but consistent.  That's just normal user activity.

That's an example of exactly what I am talking about.  In the unlikely
event that an entry in a memo field is Required, and the user edits the
memo control by deleting all exisitng data, then my style would be to
attack that immediately.

> I don't use the Validation rule because I want to give users a message box
> that is formatted with Bold text, rather than standard text.  I've gotten
> quite a bit of feedback that this is preferred.

Yes, I have a MsgBox97() function I use sometimes for this purpose
(named in honour of the fact that Access 97 provides the bolding
functionality natively).

But anyway, fair enough, the Validation Text messages do not, as far as
I know, allow for that level of customisation, so I can see where you
coming from.  For myself, validation at the level of the database engine
has advantages which I will continue to avail myself of.

> Also, I want to provide a specific sound with each type of message
> (Question, Information, Critical, etc.), so I added that capability too.

The sounds Access uses by default are different for each type of MsgBox.
  But again, if you want to use your own...

Regards
Steve